A lot of eCommerce companies are struggling with how best to market to millennials because some of the tried and true traditional methods just are not producing the results they did in the past with other market segments. GenX is not the same as GenY. So what steps can we take to effectively target this group, and how can new services assist with it? Well, that just so happens to be something that I think a lot about. But first, let’s start out with some quick stats.
- 83% of Millennials open text messages within 90 seconds of receiving them. –OpenMarket
- 80 percent of Millennials would prefer to text a company’s 1-800 customer service line instead of dialing direct and waiting on hold. –OpenMarket
- 80% of people are currently using texting for business. –eWeek
- 60% of Millennials prefer two-way text engagement with companies because it’s convenient, fast and easy to use. –OpenMarket
- 75% of Millennials would rather give up the ability to talk on their smartphones than the ability to text. –Fortune
So what do these stats tell us? Well for one, is your web site and customer service able to communicate with text? Can you reach this sought after market segment with the tools that they use to communicate?
There are some great tools being developed by Facebook, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, and Unify.AI that are excellent way to communicate with this segment. If a large part of your potential customer base does not want to pick up the phone to communicate with a CS rep, you’d better have alternate means to make that connection happen; otherwise, it’s a potential lost sale.